Friday, October 22, 2010

Greece!

So, I'm going to blog about my trip to Greece. I realize that my only fan is my mom. Hi Mom! I hope you enjoy this.

We decided to go to Greece. I have wanted to go to Greece since my first quarter at YVCC when I took a class on Greek history. That professor was very interesting and he led a yearly trip to Greece. I just couldn't afford it then.

The decision to make this trip was very difficult. This year is the 17th anniversary of my Father-in-law's death. Because my husband is the first born in a Japanese family, we should have gone back to Japan and participated in the ceremony. One problem: the dollar is historically low against the yen. It would be very expensive.

However, Greece is practically completely broke and it is cheaper to go there. That didn't make the decision any easier: France, where we would have a stop over both before and after, is having transportation strikes; and Greece is also having transportation and public employee (think museums) strikes. To top it off, the US issued a strong travel alert about possible terrorist activity in Europe!

I've been working on putting on a big fundraising event at work and now that it is over, I really need a break. So, we're going to brave all the strikes and go to the Greek Islands, with no plan other than to live like the Greek.

No comments: