Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bus ride around Aegina

The next day after eating a wonderful Greek breakfast made by Ms. Rina, our hostess, we went around the island on the bus system. Ms. Rina made a traditional dish that had a flaky crust and on top was mixed eggs, feta and salt. This was baked in the oven.

She also gave us Greek yogurt and we could top it with three types of "spoon fruit" that she made each week. One was a marmalade, one of cherries, and one of plum. They were so fresh and made a great counter-point to the plain yogurt. The Greeks only serve plain yogurt. You have to dress it up. The full fat variety of yogurt is the best tasting but you can get 0% fat in our stores.



The Spoon Fruit recipe is really easy-

Spoon Fruit (marmalade type)

2 medium oranges
Sugar

Barely cut the ends off the oranges. Cover with water and boil one hour. Drain and then weigh the oranges. Put the oranges back in the pan. Measure the sugar to the same weight as the boiled oranges. Put back on the heat, about medium and cook about 20 minutes. Slice up the oranges in thin strips.

I found that I liked the syrup but not the rinds so much. I added some water and lemonjuice to make more syrup. Keep in a sterilized covered dish in the refrigerator. Lasts about a week.

Aegina is a small island but it is the largest that we went to. We decided to hop on the regular bus service and go places on the island. We decided to go to the famous cathedral and monastery, Agios Nektarios and the Temple of Aphaia.

The bus service only goes on once an hour. Of course, the driver is looking to set a record; it was one wild trip! huge cathedral has ceilings with lovely tile mosaics that have so much gold, they look like they are internal light up.





You have to climb the hill to the monastery. This is a Greek Orthodox cathedral and the population is devoted. As I walked up the hill with lots of old ladies, I thought "How devoted. All these old ladies hunched over their rosaries, walking up this steep hill." And then I turned around and saw behind me that all the old ladies were hunched over their cell phones, texting like mad!



When I got to the monestary, there was a sign "No half dressed women." I was wearing a tank top and short skirt! Fortunately I also had a sarong in my bag that I could use like a huge scarf, covering most of me up!



No comments: