Friday, October 26, 2012

Japan Redux

I am back in Japan for 15 days.  My husband and I have not visited his home for 4 years. This time, I get to experience apartment life because my sister-in-law has decided that we should stay at her apartment and she will bunk back with Mom and the brothers.  Thanks sis!

We woke up and went to Mom's for breakfast.  She cooked like an invading army was arriving! Look at this spread:

She had grilled salmon, fried boneless chicken (karage), ham, boiled egss on sald, chicken meatballs, grilled mushrooms, inagri (fried tofu pockets filled with rice), onion and shrimp tempura, a spicy chicken stir-fry, oden, and of course rice. We also had green tea and coffee. If she keeps trying to feed me like that I won't be able to loose the 10 pounds a always loose in Japan!

Japanese food is good but often unexpected and sometimes gross. I of course must try the gross stuff first: is this brains or tasty inari?

 Fortunately, its two kinds of inari, one with the right side out and one turned inside out just for novelty. I ate the one that looked like brains!

T and his mom also visited one of his dad's old school friends.  He lives in a prefecture that grows many types of fruits. They brought this mystery fruit home.  It kind of looks like a purplish potatoe:


Inside:


You eat the inside that looks like a large white larvae. My brave husband scooped some out and tried it first:

 Verdict: yummy, so I tried some. I wonder what it is? Anyone know?

After that we walked back to the apartment. Oranges and other citrus friut ripen in the fall-wniter. Look at how many organges are on this tree:



 Sayonora for now.

 


1 comment:

lisa d said...

Looks like great fun. Cant wait to read more.