Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Audition

Darn! I wasn't picked to be on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire!!!" But, I get to go back tomorrow and try again. This what I earned for my efforts: a magnet and a pencil.

I went to the much vaunted Tinsel Trading in the garment district. It was just as great as professed by other bloggers! The window display was suggestive of the riches within-
They have two large rooms and a store across the street filled with ribbons, craft supplies, millinery flowers, and old, old beautiful fabrics. Here is a picture of just one wall of the ribbon side-
I got a steal of a deal!! I found these large cards of velvet covered cording. I thought it said $10 a yard, of which I would have been very happy to get one yard of two colors. When I got to the front she said the little marking indicated it meant ALL for $10. Needless to say I went back and bought all the hip, Marie Antoinette-like colors. Look at this bootie (as in pirate bootie)-

I was nearly addled with the unexpected riches and lost my way to the next stop- the Carnegie Deli. Along the way as I got lost I saw these-


Take a look at the subways. They are grittier and dirtier than you see portrayed on TV and movies-

I've seen the rats down on the tracks but have yet to capture one on film. Here is my son down in the subway. You can see the lighting is not so good and the interior is grimy.

I went to pick my son up from work and as I was waiting, I noticed the Waldorf-Astoria hotel nearby! When I was little, my parents took me to many hotels; not to stay, but to attend conferences. So, I know that anyone can hang out in the lobby and the gift store. I went to the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and wandered through the lobby, was careful not to rub elbows with the beautiful and very well groomed people, viewed the historical displays, and glanced into the gift stores (Of which were soooo expensive, I probably might have gotten light headed if I actually entered one. Fortunately they were closed.) However, I noticed my opportunity to experience the hotel first-hand! I went to the bathroom!- The angel detail on the sconces-
I tried to get a picture of the lounge but the attendant wouldn't go away. Suffice it to say, it was grand!

No comments: