Thursday, November 4, 2010

I'm usually not so easy, but I went home with a man!

We set sail for Poros and we got "picked up!" Travel aficionado, Rick Steves, says that in Greece you should go home with strangers. Many Greek families rent out rooms in their homes or own pensions or have motel-like rooms to tourists to make money. They advertise locally and you can pre-arrange in the tourist season but you can also just show up at the dock and go home with someone.

We did! It was exciting! We arrived at Poros and started walking. Greeks are not loud and a man started trailing us and whispering. My husband was dutifully trudging along, avoiding him like it was bum asking for money. I finally caught on and said to my husband that I think this man wants to talk to us. We slowed down and looked at him.

"Lady, you looking for a room?"
"yes"
"How many nights?"
"Two" He grabs my hand and starts shaking it.
"I have rooms! Come see my rooms!"
"Are they far?" He grabs my hand and shakes it some more.
"No, not too far but just right!" He grabs my husband's hand shakes it as well for good measure.

Now about the hands. This man wasn't over-weight, or very tall, but he was rugged. He must have worked hard physically all his life because his hands were like small shovels! I could not even wrap my fingers around this hand to shake it properly. Neither could my husband.

Also, he must have had palsy or a stroke that caused one eye to droop. But he fixed it! He took a long piece of of cellophane tape and just taped that sucker up! So we're going home with a stranger who has one eye tapped open and could kill us with his bare hands. My husband looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

However, this landlord really wanted you to receive value so he took us on a walking tour as well. he pointed out the best fish tavernas, where we could get our laundry done, and where we could get breakfast. We took the room.

Poros is the smallest island we went to. It is built into the hill and all the roads are stairs between the houses.

Poros-


Looking across the harbor towards the mainland-

The little water taxis-

Cute!

A cafe in the harbor. All the buildings look freshly painted.

Our room is just up these stairs-

No comments: